Saturday, March 3, 2012

Raising the Gifted Child

I find it ironic that somehow stating your child is a genius can be construed as bragging. However, I have to sit down for 5 hours to hear how some kid is great at football or lacrosse or whatever sport of the season is and that's considered great. I'm competitive. I am raising competitive children. I plan to be raising Ivy-leaguers, but won't be disappointed if they end up at a state school. In the end, I have taught my children to dream big and to reach for the galaxy and see where it lands you. And, yes, I have a genius or two in my gene pool.


My eldest scored an IQ that places her in the Mensa category. I did the research and have opted to see if she will qualify. As her scores already show she will qualify, she'll be able to place on her resume "Mensa". Having a child who needs a GIEP is not easy. She lives in a foreign world to her. She rather build robots and read books than play with Barbies or listen to Justin Bieber. I have spent 5 years trying to force her into this crevice we as a society call normal. My children are not different from brick and mortar children because they are homeschooled. My children have more social interaction with non-homeschooled people than they do with homeschool. My children are different because they are home schooled--but also because we are different. We encourage the "genius' in them to come out. Because if they finish school in 30 minutes, then they have all day to dissect the bugs, and play with the robots. It's a challenge raising children who think differently than society. They are treated like they are "backwards" because of it. It's why I pushed so much for them to be assimilated. However, it's not what we believe and strive for. So I think the choice to join Mensa will help us.


My hope is we will be given a support system of other parents who have the same "problem" as we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment